Table of Contents
Taraporewala Aquarium Mumbai is one of the oldest aquariums of India started in 1951. The aquarium is named after a Parsi man who contributed around Rs. 200,000 for the construction of this aquarium. The aquarium is one of the biggest highlights when it comes to the best attractions in the city. The aquarium was constructed at a cost of Rs 800,000 back then and it was redesigned and reopened on 3 March 2015.
The new taraporewala aquarium architecture has now more than 2000 fishes and more than 400 species have been added to the aquarium at a whooping cost of 22 crores. Out of the 22 crores, 16.5 crores has been spent on the new construction and the remaining 7.5 crores were spent on bringing new exotic new fishes from overseas. According to some sources seven types of coral fishes from Lakshadweep islands can be found here with more than 100 fresh water marine fishes.
Major Details about the Aquarium
Taraporewala Aquarium records around 400000 annual visitors all around the year from different regions. The aquarium has 16 sea water tanks and 9 fresh water tanks that hold 31 types of fish in them. Another 32 tropical tanks consist of 54 types of fish. The tropical section is divided into different ecosystems like the “Moss Aquarium” for the pregnant fishes, “Plantation aquarium” for water lilies and marine animals and “Island aquarium”.
- Address of Taraporewala Aquarium – Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Road, Marine Drive, Near Charni Road Railway Station, Girgaon, Mumbai, Maharashtra, 400002, India
- Phone Number of Taraporewala Aquarium – 022 2282 1239
The tickets can be booked online and offline, however booking tickets physically is a better idea. Taraporewala aquarium online booking can be done from many different websites.
Taraporewala aquarium entry fees structure is stated below:
- Rs 60/person for Indian Adults (Age above 12 years)
- Rs 30/person for Indian Children (Age between 3 to 12 years)
- Rs 30/person for Concessional Rates For Educational Institutes
- Rs 40/person for Retired Government Employees
- Rs 30/person for Government Employees
- Rs 200/person for Foreign Tourist Adults (Age above 12 years)
- Rs 100/person for Foreign Tourist Children (Age between 3 to 12 years)
- Rs 30/person for Disabled or Physically Challenged person
Photo and Video Charges
- Rs 500 for normal photography and videography with smartphones.
- Rs 1,000 for videography with digital camera, or video camera.
- Rs 5,000 for professional still camera
- Rs 10,000 for professional video shooting.
- Holiday – Monday/ Any Festival
- Opening Days – Tuesday to Sunday
- Opening & Closing Timing of Taraporewala Aquarium – 10:00 AM To 07:00 PM from Tuesday to Saturday and on Sunday the timings are 10:00 AM to 08:00 PM.
Best Time to Visit The Aquarium
Usually Mumbai experiences the same temperatures throughout the year but during the monsoon time, it becomes really hard to go out and explore things in the city, after monsoon, the time period from October to March is considered as the best time to visit the city. You need only two hours to explore the aquarium and around 35 percent of people choose the timing of 10-11 in the morning to start their tour with this aquarium.
Attractions Inside the Taraporewala Aquarium
The Taraporewala Aquarium is considered as the best aquariums in Mumbai and it has so many things to offer over the other aquariums in mumbai. Here are some of the attractions:
- Fish Spa, where you get a massage done by the doctor fish. Dip your legs in one of the ten tanks.
- Touch the starfish, sea urchins, sea cucumbers, and turtles at the touch pool.
- Watch the fish documentaries, marine ecosystems and environment conservation on Amphitheatre.
- A tank filled with 22,000 litres of water.
- Watch the beautiful coral ecosystems fitted with LEd lights.
Places to Visit Near Taraporewala Aquarium
- Marine Drive: This magnificent aquarium is situated on Marine drive only, the place is famous for its ea facing view and it is a stretched walkway for 3 km, where people go for morning jobs and enjoy the evening sunsets with their friends and family.
- Girgaon Chowpatty: Girgaon Chowpatty is another place which is only a few meters away from the aquarium. It is a place where people come to do yoga sessions and enjoy a great time with their friends. You can try the amazing bhel puri and pani puri of this place while enjoying this beach.
- Gateway Of India: The Gateway of India is one of the famous monuments in India situated 5 km far from the Taraporewala Aquarium. The place is famous for its boat tours and it receives thousands of visitors everyday from all over the world.
- Hanging Gardens: This mesmerizing green and calm place is situated 3 km far from the aquarium. The place is famous for its beautiful views and most of the people come here to take a break from their chaotic lifestyle.
How to Reach Taraporewala Aquarium
There are several ways to reach this beautiful fish aquarium museum in Mumbai. But, the best way to visit is by car only. You can take a car for a cab from any railway station, bus station or airport. It also offers easy parking for your vehicles.
- By Road – You can take the bus from your hotel or home, you can take a cab or auto rickshaw or you can drive your own car here.
- By Train – The nearest railway station to the aquarium is New Charni Road Railway Station, take a cab or auto till the aquarium.
- By Air – Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport is the nearest airport and you can expect frequent flights from cities like Delhi, Chandigarh, Hyderabad from here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: How much time is enough to explore the Taraporewala Aquarium?
2 hours (maximum)
Q2: Can you click pictures inside the aquarium?
Yes, if you pay for the video or picture charges in advance.
Q3: What is the best way to reach the aquarium?
You can take your personal car or take a cab from the railway station.