Table of Contents
Pondicherry, aka Pondy, is a major reflection of Indian diversity as situated in Tamil Nadu. It is a gorgeous little place that is an ideal option to unwind the fast pace of life. Get relaxation at this place in cute cafes and spend an amazing evening and morning times with a sip of coffee.
Pondicherry Travel Guide: How to reach?
Pondicherry is surrounded by Tamil Nadu and tucked in the southeast region of India. The place is overlooking the Bay of Bengal and well-connected by nearby places through transport services such as bus, and trains. If you want to enjoy French architecture, food, and cafes, and get into the spiritual place, then Pondicherry should be the best pick up.
There are two ways to reach Pondicherry as mentioned below:
- Chennai to Pondicherry: Most of the travelers visit this city through Chennai. The distance between Chennai and Pondicherry is 150km. Not only a bigger bus hub, but the city also has the closest functioning airport as well as a railway station. As a well-connected Union territory, it grabs the attention of many travelers and becomes the weekend getaway in the Southern region. If you want car travel, then Chennai to Pondicherry travel time by car is around three hours via NH 32.
- Bangalore to Pondicherry: Despite Chennai, another major city is Bangalore from where the tourists come to visit Pondicherry. From Bangalore to Pondicherry, one can opt for a train, bus or flight. The distance between both cities is around 311km in short ways. If you want to go by car, then it is recommended to take NH 75 route despite the shorter NH-77 route.
You can also travel Mumbai to Pondicherry through the flight.
Get around in Pondicherry
You can explore the city in three ways:
- By Foot: You can explore the city best by walking around the beautiful streets such as White Town and Promenade. Most of the sightseeing places are within the area of two to three kilometers. It has the longest seafront and the morning, as well as evening walks, are amazing.
- By Motorcycle or pedal cycle: The best and convenient way to explore Pondicherry weather is by renting a bike or pedal cycle. To get the same, you need to provide some ID proof and some advance as well.
- By Auto Rickshaws and buses: The cheapest way to Pondicherry Travel is by taking shared buses and auto-rickshaws. If you want to take, then you can also get your separate rickshaws and prepare yourself for bargaining too.
Where do you have to visit while Pondicherry travels?
Here, we have enlisted some places where you must visit and it has become the best attraction for tourists that you ought not to miss in Pondicherry.
- White Town: This place is like a heaven for photography purposes. Fresh European style streets, arched gates lined with bougainvillea, hanging balconies, vibrant yellow and white walls, beautifully colored doors, and Instagram friendly cafés enhance the beauty of this place. When you walk through the street, it is fantastic to enjoy the beautiful French Architecture as well as old heritage buildings.
- Pondicherry Beach: The main Pondicherry beach has a wall of jagged rocks and no sand stretching is there. This is the place where people love to spend time during mornings and evenings. The pavement is clean, and it has trees, beaches, and no traffic at all.
- Chunnambar Boat House: It is situated 8km far from the city as you can see the Pondicherry Map. Go ahead and don’t miss the chance of boating in blackwater and get into the paradise beach. It has availability of overnight stays and restaurants for food as well as snacks.
- Botanical Garden: It is the place where the scenes of Life of Pi were shot. It is a well-maintained and clean park with a beautiful flower show.
- Serenity Beach: It is not far from the city and located at a short distance. The beach is situated 7kms away from Pondicherry Bus station and nothing special but the beach with sand.
- Immaculate Conception Cathedral: This beautifully-designed place was built by French in the 17th Century and some renovations have been done from time to time. Visit the place in the evening for fantastic photography.
- Sri Aurobindo Ashram: The place is important as it is on a world map and makes Pondicherry famous, thus it is the main attraction for tourists. His Samadhi is still there and you can learn a lot by visiting there.
Other additional activities to enjoy while travel to Pondicherry
- Surfing: The city has become the top-rated places for surfing and surfing lessons are also offered by some schools.
- Scuba Diving: The funny thing to do in Pondicherry map is Scuba diving and it is managed by temple Adventures. It gives you an amazing experience of kingfish, parrotfish, manta rays, sea snakes, angelfish, and so on.
- Awesome Nightlife: Pondicherry has amazing night clubs and bars to enjoy a night at the fullest. Some are Pub Zipper, Ozone Bar, L’Aqua, and others.
Frequently asked questions
Q1. How long will it take to explore all at Pondicherry?
It is enough to spend two to three as the period is enough to explore the main highlights of this city. You can easily go through Pondicherry French Colony, beaches, Old Quarter, and Auroville.
Q2. Which season is best to visit Pondicherry?
You can experience Pondicherry throughout the year. Being a serenity and panoramic place, the city has tropical weather, so it has pleasant weather despite specific months of the year. It is recommended to visit Pondicherry during Monsoon and Winter season as it brings down humidity.
Q3. Is it worthy to visit Pondicherry?
You will experience traffic and noise that is the best travel tips for everyone. But the city mesmerizes their travelers through its beauty and scenic as well as serene charm throughout the year.
Q4. Is it safe to travel Pondicherry for a sole female?
Yes, it is safe for females and people are well-behaved. But it is advisable to wear proper clothes while traveling to White Town as people over there are conservative.
Q5. What eating Options are available in Pondicherry?
The best part is that it is a paradise for foodies. A wide range of restaurants, cafes, and bars are available across the city that offers authentic cuisine. Some of the Pondicherry resorts are Villa Shanti, Le Café, Promenade, Gelateria Montecatini Terme (GMT), and Tanto Pizzeria and Café Xtasi.