Table of Contents
Munnar is most famous for its cool climate, and tea plantations. Munnar is a hill station situated at a height of 5200 feet above sea level in the Idukki district of Kerala. The hill station is a very famous honeymoon destination for couples and it is situated at the Western Ghats mountain ranges. The Munnar name is derived by the confluence of three rivers; Mudhirapuzha, Nallathanni and Kundali.
Munnar hill station offers green scenic views with lush free forests and the widely spread tea estates. The place is also known as the “Kashmir” of South India. The place is also home to some of the endangered animal species along with beautiful mountains, valleys and a wide variety of flora and fauna. Most of the people who visit Munnar go for trekking, camping, safari and other popular activities.
If you are planning to visit this place the best time to visit Munnar is between September to April, when the weather remains most pleasant. Although the weather is favorable for travellers all around the year, during the monsoon period Munnar receives heavy rainfall which might be a hindrance in your trip.
Best Places to Visit in Munnar
Attukad Waterfalls is one of the most attractive places, surrounded by lush green forests and natural vegetation. Visit this place during the monsoon to see the waterfall at its best. You can enjoy a picnic with your family or go trekking in the rough terrain.
Echo point in munnar is another beautiful place where you can visit with your family for a picnic between the lush green forests. It is best known for its echoing occurrence, whenever you scream something you will hear it back.
Enjoy the eye-grabbing views of the valley that surrounds the Mattupetty dam. You can go there for a walk with your family at the tea plantations around the dam. You can enjoy trekking with your friends in the forest and witness new species of birds.
Are you also looking for an escape from your hectic life and relax at some quiet calming place, kundala lake in munnar can be the place for you. Enjoy the tea plantations near the lake, artificial dam and turquoise blue waters of the lake.
Pothamedu View Point:
Pothamedu viewpoint is surrounded with tropical forests, valleys, green hills and clear atmosphere. It is a beautiful place for photo lovers to capture great views. People can enjoy trekking the steep hills and each at the top and get together for a picnic.
Also read: A Trekking Guide to Palkulamedu
Things to do in Munnar:
- Trekking: There are many places in Munnar where you can go trekking in the lush green forests and enjoy the breathtaking views of the surroundings. It is best for people who love the thrill and adventure in their trips, there are many treks where you can trek along the waterfalls.
- Camping: Camping is another great activity that people can do to fulfil the need of their adrenaline. You can go for a trek in the hills covered with dense forests and after reaching the top you can camp with your family and friends.
- Staying in a Tree House: Made out of straw, hay, coir and bamboo, the treehouse is an eco-friendly accommodation provided to the guests. These tree houses are located in the luxury resorts of Munnar near spice and tea plantations. These stays are built at an elevation of 20ft to 60ft.
- Stroll at the Tea Gardens: To refresh your mood you can take a stroll in the beautiful scenic landscape of tea gardens. The whole tea estate promises beautiful green foliage and it helps you relieve your stress.
- Go For Wildlife Safari: You might get lucky to witness some of the rare and endangered species of animals and birds in a wildlife safari. If you love adventures in your life, walking through the dense tropical forest will definitely excite your soul.
How to Reach Munnar?
- By Road: The nearest place from where you can get all the transport facilities is Kochi. You can take a cab or book bus tickets from Kochi to Munnar. Total distance between these two places is 126 km only.
- By Train: Kochi or Ernakulam are two big stations that are near Munnar that have good connectivity from all the major stations like Bangalore, Kolkata, Delhi and Mumbai.
- By Air: Cochin Airport which is 125 km away from Munnar is the closest airport. The airport has good connectivity with other major states of India and regular taxi service till Munnar is available.
Accommodation in Munnar
There are many beautiful stays in Munnar with a luxurious feel and good hospitality for tourists. Here are some of the best resorts in Munnar for a comfortable stay.
- Club Mahindra Munnar: Club Mahindra is a five star resort located in Chinnakanal, Munnar. The resort covers free parking, a gym, kids play area, game room, two restaurants, a bar and a spa. The resort is surrounded by beautiful tea plantations.
- Dream Catcher Resort Munnar: The dream catcher resort is truly a luxurious resort set up between tea and cardamom plantations. The resort has luxury treehouses with many facilities like a spa, free parking, free Wi-Fi, steam room , library and restaurant.
- Spice Tree Munnar: Spice tree is another exotic resort situated in Chinnakanal, Munnar. Services like Spa, airport shuttle, restaurants, indoor and outdoor pools, free Wi-Fi and laundry is always available for tourists.
Other Nearest Beautiful Hill Station Near Munnar
Hill Stations In Kerala
- Alleppey: Alleppey is a beautiful place in Kerala which is also known as the ‘Venice of the east’. The place is famous for its famous black waters, lagoons and paddy fields. Best time to visit Alleppey is between October to March
- Vagamon: Vagamon is situated at an elevation of 1200m above sea level and it is a gorgeous place with beautiful green hills, pine forests and many waterfalls. The best time to visit vagamon is between March to May in summers, and December to February in winters.
Hill Stations Outside Kerala
- Coorg (Karnataka): Coorg is a beautiful hill station famous for its steep hills and lushy green views that are picture perfect. You can enjoy trekking and rock climbing here with exotic stays. Best time to visit Coorg is from October to April.
- Ooty (Tamil Nadu): Ooty is a picture perfect place with many mesmerizing views of beautiful green hills and coffee plantations. The scenic views of Ooty attracts people from all over India to get a break from their hectic life and relax. Best time to visit Ooty is from March to June.
- Kodaikanal (Tamil Nadu): Another great hill station in Tamil Nadu is Kodaikanal, which promises pleasing views with many activities like boating and trekking. The hill station is famous for its beautiful lakes, valleys, forests and mountains. Best time to visit Kodaikanal is from October to June.
FAQs about Munnar Visit
Q1: Which railway station is near Munnar?
Cochin and Ernakulam are two big stations close to Munnar.
Q2: How many days are enough for Munnar?
You can take a 3 days trip to Munnar to enjoy every major activity and visit every popular spot.
Q3: What is the best time to visit Munnar?
March to September is the best time to visit Munnar.